advent activity calendar: fun, festive family holiday time
It’s that time of year again–time for our Advent Activity Calendar!
Our Advent Activity Calendar is something we’ve been doing for the last four years, where we very simply plan a fun, festive, family holiday activity for each day of December.
Nothing fancy, crazy, or over-the-top–these are simple, small holiday pleasures that we pencil into this very busy month so that we don’t pass them by.
Giving activities, family activities, indoor and outdoor activities. Solo activities and group activities. Messy and not-so-messy activities.
Activities that need prep–and many that don’t.
Our focus is simple: to enjoy every possible minute of our favorite month of the year.
Here’s the skinny. . .
- Advent Activity Calendar: Fun, Festive Family Holiday Time: We kept a lot of our old faves, and we added a few new activities.
But essentially our Advent Activity Calendar is just that–ours, and it incorporates what our family values and appreciates during the holidays:
- baking cookies
- helping others
- singing, dancing
- Christmas specials
- family time
- making memories and remembering past holidays.
Printing out two copies makes remembering activities a tad bit easier!
I print out a copy of the calendar to keep on hand for myself, and then I cut each of the squares out of the calendar and place them in our felt Christmas tree–something I picked up at the store years ago but something that you can find just about anywhere. (Check the bottom of the post for some ideas!)
You could make your own or do what several of my friends have done. They’ve cut apart the squares of each calendar day and
- put each square in a numbered envelope that their children decorate;
- wrapped each in a tiny box that kiddos can unwrap each day;
- hidden the square under a place mat at breakfast;
- taped the square on the bathroom mirror;
- used the chocolate Advent calendar and stuck the squares in each of the windows so kids get chocolate and an activity.
Either way, here’s the calendar to download either as we have it here, or feel free to adjust as you see fit:
Advent Activity Calendar 2012
Here’s to a happy Advent season and to really appreciating this exciting and joyful time with family!