To correct or not to correct your child’s reading: that is the question.
So many people have asked me about this, so I made it one of my reading tips. Check it out.
Think about how you feel when people tell you you’re wrong. Especially when you’re taking a risk and aren’t quite sure of yourself.
It’s hard to hear you’re wrong. It sometimes hurts to hear:
- Come on! I know you know this. You just read it. . .
- Nope. You’re wrong. That word is. . .
- Stop. Slow down.
- Come up, Honey. Pick up the pace a bit.
- Try it again. You read that word wrong.
And even though our hearts are in the right place, there are better ways. Sure. we all want our kids to become better readers. That’s a fact.
But I promise, friends. There are better ways of getting there.
Check it out:
Like this video? Check out the whole #RaiseAReader playlist and definitely subscribe to our channel!
Need — or want–to know MORE about what to say when kids make reading mistakes? Click on the image below:
And here are a few more posts on all things early literacy. . .
(Click on the image to find the post!)
What burning questions do you have about reading or literacy? I’d love to hear them so that I can (hopefully!) address the topic during one of the videos.
Just leave it below, and I’ll do what I can to cover it. Looking forward to this!
Follow along wherever works best for you, my friends, with the hashtag #RaiseAReader —
- follow daily on YouTube;
- follow daily on Snapchat;
- follow daily on Facebook;
- follow daily on Twitter;
- follow daily on Instagram.
Cheers, and happy reading during this incredibly exciting journey!
Want a few more early literacy or alphabet activities? Check out:
- backyard alphabet hunt
- homemade alphabet book
- leafy letter learning
- ABC hunt
- on the road ABC hunt
- lowercase ABC hunt
- build your own bingo: uppercase and lowercase match
- ABC cards and clothespin match
- alphabet letter splash
- alphabingo (play with lowercase letters)
- alphabet letter lids
- leafy outdoor alphabet hunt
- build your own board game
- clothespin letter match
- 10 fun ways to learn the alphabet
Follow us on pinterest, and check out our literacy pins: