This post was written as part of a partnership with Disney-Hyperion.
It’s amazing how easily you can create sweet and easy gifts sometimes when you have a bit of inspiration.
Sometimes it’s a walk in the craft store.
Sometimes it’s a stroll through the park.
Sometimes it’s a glance through a photo album.
Sometimes it’s a movie, tv program, or book.
These quick and easy flower wish boxes were inspired by a book series that we’ve recently discovered. It’s a book series that Maddy and Cora have devoured, and it’s a series that I love as well.
The series I’m referring to is the Disney’s Star Darlings series, by Ahmet Zappa and Shana Muldoon Zappa.
It’s a new series for tweens, and it’s star-tastic. It’s clever, catchy, and it’s worth checking out. I wrote about why you’ll love Disney’s Star Darlings earlier this year.
The characters in this series are so bright and cool but distinctly different from one another at the same time. We couldn’t help but think of the Star Darlings instantly when creating these cute little flower wish boxes.
And the awesome thing is that we’re giving away the entire Star Darlings series, Star Darlings dolls, and a sweet Star Darlings Wish Board. More on that below!
Here’s the skinny. . .
Quick and Easy Flower Wish Boxes:
These wish boxes are perfect little gifts for girlfriends, for party favors, for teacher gifts, you name it.
What you’ll need for these boxes are:
- several bunches of bright silk flowers (Or you can buy just the tops if you want!)
- a set of round tins with clear plastic lids (We used ones we found in the dollar spot at our local craft store, and they came in black, silver, and white.)
- hot glue gun
- Avery labels #22817 (These are optional if you want a bottom label, but we used Avery Print to Edge Round Labels, Glossy White, 2“)
- Flower Wish Box Notes & Label template (Download below)
- Candy (We used Fruit Flavored Tootsie Rolls.)
And making the boxes is super easy.
You can make them in three easy steps. Not even kidding. Three. Easy. Steps.
- Poke a tiny hole in the top of the lid. We started the hole with a pushpin and then made it a bit larger with the tip of a pair of scissors.
- Stick the top of a flower through the tiny hole and add a bit of hot glue around the edges.
- Fill the tin with a note, candy, or both!
Put a label on the bottom if you’d like, or just pass the beautiful tin on to a friend.
We were inspired by the colors and energy of the Star Darlings because each character has her own, distinct focus, favorite color, and personality.
Maddy and Cora helped to assign flower colors and tin colors because really, I can hardly keep track of my own three kids and their favorites.
You could really do anything that works for you, but we came up with:
- Sage: purple flower, silver tin (Sage loves all things lavender, so we thought purple and silver would be ideal.)
- Libby: pink flower, white tin (Libby is a fan of pink.)
- Leona: yellow flower, white tin (Bright Leona is all about gold!)
- Tessa: turquoise flower, silver tin (Tessa loves emerald green.)
- Astra: orange flower, black tin (Astra is usually red, but we could not find a red daisy flower at the craft store!)
- Adora: blue flower, white tin (Her favorite color is sky blue.)
- Scarlet: purple flower, black tin (Scarlet loves black, but we thought black flower on black tin would be too dark.)
- Gemma: yellow flower, silver tin (Gemma’s favorite color is orange, but we had no orange daisies!)
- Clover: hot pink flower, black tin (Clover is all purple, but we had to choose the best fit colors.)
- Piper: green flower, white tin (Piper’s favorite color is sea foam green.)
- Vega: blue flower, black tin (Vega loves blue!)
- Cassie: white flower, silver tin. (Cassie loves white!)
The cool thing is that these quick and easy Flower Wish Boxes can be used for so many things:
- If your child is a fan of Star Darlings, these would make awesome party favors.
- If your child loves to give away small tokens of friendship, these would be perfect.
- If you need a little something for Teacher Appreciation Day, these totally work.
- If you need a little topper for a gift, a container for jewelry, or a fun and snazzy desk organizer, these are awesome.
Maddy and Cora wanted to keep these boxes at our house so they could give them to friends who came over to play.
The original idea was to bring a few to school for friends, but then they agreed that unless they brought one for each person, someone would feel left out.
As we made the boxes, though, it was fun for the girls to say that certain boxes reminded them of particular friends. The color combinations, maybe?
Then we added some fun hashtag notes as little surprises inside.
Really, friends, hashtags are all the rage. So The personalized hashtag along with a few, little sweets and brightly colored flowers makes for a really special treat.
The hashtags all deal with friendship and wishes:
- and more!
But we also made some cute little labels that would help friends know what the boxes could be used for.
The labels read: -for your wishes, treats, & treasures! and Thank you for being the best teacher ever! in case you want to share a Flower Wish Box with a favorite teacher friend!
And all you need is the template below and Avery Print to Edge Round Labels, Glossy White, 2“. Print, stick, and share!
Grab the free printables — the Keep Dreaming Friendship Notes and labels.
Because Disney has just released the Star Darlings Volume 1 Collection, which includes Sage and the Journey to Wishworld, Libby and the Class Election, and Leona’s Unlucky Mission, and they’ve just released books 6-9 (Cassie Comes Through, Piper’s Perfect Dream, Astra’s Mixed-Up Mission, Tessa’s Lost and Found), they’re excited to give lots and lots of books away!
We’re giving away a Disney’s Star Darlings prize pack that includes the ENTIRE Star Darlings series–The Star Darlings Volume 1 Collection, Vega and the Fashion Disaster, Scarlett Discovers True Strength, (and the four newly-released books!) Cassie Comes Through, Piper’s Perfect Dream, Astra’s Mixed-Up Mission, Tessa’s Lost and Found, AND five STAR DARLINGS dolls, AND a Star Darlings Wish Board like the one below?
SO MUCH awesome, right??
Do you want to win a Disney’s Star Darlings prize pack that includes the ENTIRE Star Darlings series–The Star Darlings Volume 1 Collection, Vega and the Fashion Disaster, Scarlett Discovers True Strength, (and the four newly-released books!) Cassie Comes Through, Piper’s Perfect Dream, Astra’s Mixed-Up Mission, Tessa’s Lost and Found, AND five STAR DARLINGS dolls, AND a Star Darlings Wish Board like the one above?? !? ??! Yes, yes you do.
Please use the Rafflecopter widget below to throw your name in the hat:
By entering this giveaway, you are demonstrating your understanding of and compliance with the Official Sweepstakes Rules.
This giveaway ends Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at midnight ET and is open to folks here in the US only. Winner will be chosen by ‘Rafflecopter’ and will be notified on or around 06/01/16. Winner must respond within three (3) days of notification or forfeit the prize, in which case an alternate winner will be selected. All Official Sweepstakes Rules apply.
Do you want to learn a bit more about this series?
fyi: This post was written as part of a partnership with Disney Publishing and Star Darlings, but as always, my opinions are all my own, influenced only by my personal experience as a parent and educator–and, of course, my three little readers. Definitely check out my other Star Darlings post: 5 Reasons to Love Disney’s Star Darlings.
fyi: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. This small percentage of money helps offset the costs of hosting this blog, which helps me keep this content free for you. Forever and always I recommend only products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” For more information, please see teachmama media, llc. disclosure policy.