I’m always so thrilled to share with you fun literacy-related events and celebrations, and this summer, we’ve got a big one: it’s the 10th Anniversary of the publication of The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan. WOOT!
And, as part of the team of bloggers who will be celebrating all summer long the awesome that is Percy Jackson and the Olympians, I’ll be writing a bit each month about why this series rocks and why you—and your kids!—should get on board.
I’m also giving away an entire boxed set of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. For real.
And I’ll be sharing some cool deals and freebies for you.
Talk about a sweet way to ring in the summer, right?
To kick off this event, I’m sharing some ideas for you. Some cool ways for you toget your Percy Jackson read on.
Here’s the skinny. . .
10 Cool Ways to Read the Percy Jackson Series:
1. In a museum. Because this is where The Lightning Thief opens, when Percy realizes that something is just not right.
2. Near an arcade. In the book, people never age in the arcade. But warning: you will.
3. In bed. Not Crusty’s Water Bed Palace where ‘Crusty’ tries to trick Annabeth and Grover, but your bed. You’re much more safe in your bed.
4. On a bus. Percy’s bus breaks down after he sees one of the three ladies cut the yarn with golden scissors. Let’s hope your bus makes the trip!
5. While in a cabin. Percy goes to Camp Half-Blood, a Greek demi-god training facility on Long Island. Read this book in a cabin as if you’re a camper there, too!
6. While wearing a baseball cap. Annabelle wears her invisibility Yankee’s cap given to her mom, Athena. Your cap will most likely not make you invisible, but you can pretend.
7. Near the ocean (okay, or a pool or some water). Percy is the demigod son of Poseidon. Poseidon is the god of water. Read near the water to feel a little closer to Percy.
8. By the light of a lightning bolt (or glow stick). Percy’s quest in The Lightning Thief is to retrieve Zeus’s stolen master bolt. Read by the light of a glowstick to feel inspired!
9. While eating something blue. Percy’s favorite color is blue, and his mom, Sally, is on a constant quest for blue food. Eat a little something blue to get in the Percy and Sally spirit.
10. Near a campfire. Hades appears in the campfire when the quest begins. And so? Your Percy Jackson experience can begin here too!
What do you think? Sound good!
GIVEAWAY: A complete boxed set of Percy Jackson and the Olympians series!
Do you want to win your own complete boxed set of Percy Jackson and the Olympians series??! Yes, yes you do.
Please use the Rafflecopter widget below to throw your name in the hat:
This giveaway ends Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at midnight ET and is open to folks here in the US only. Winner will be chosen by ‘Rafflecopter’ and will be notified on or around 06/30/15. Winner must respond within three (3) days of notification or forfeit the prize, in which case an alternate winner will be selected. All Official Sweepstakes Rules apply.
But wait. There’s more!
There’s something for everyone here!
Check out the awesome freebies below:
- Everyone gets a freebie The Lightning Thief downloadable activity set
- The Lightning Thief will be discounted to $.99 across all eBook accounts for one full week (6/15-6/22)! It also includes a sneak peek chapter excerpt from Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book One: The Sword of Summer.
- Catch a sneak peek of Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book One: The Sword of Summer — available online at ReadRiordan.com!
fyi: I’m writing this post as part of a partnership with Disney-Hyperion; however, my opinions are all my own, influenced only by my personal experience as a parent and educator–and, of course, my three little Percy fans.
fyi: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Forever and always I recommend only products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” For more information, please see teachmama media, llc. disclosure policy.