I am blogging on behalf of Walmart.com, but the views expressed here are solely mine, not Walmart’s. Shop online and save money to live better at Walmart.com
Spring is around the corner, so it’s an ideal time to kick-start your family’s health.
And, after the brutal winter we’ve had, I know we’re all ready for it. We’re ready for a change.
We’re ready for sun. We’re ready for grass. We’re ready to see leaves on the trees.
We’re ready to start eating healthier and to start feeling better about ourselves again.
So as we close out the last few weeks of wintertime, we must start thinking about how we can prepare our family for a spring and summer filled with fitness and well-being.
I’ve got three ways to kick-start your family’s health.
Three ways that have worked for our family after the long and lazy days of winter, after we’ve eaten one too many cookies, and after one too many hot chocolates.
Here’s the skinny. . .
- 3 Ways to Kick-Start Your Family’s Health: Three simple ways, because, as busy parents, that’s about all we can handle.
1. Find outdoor activities you can do as a family. Being outside is key because in the springtime, the weather is nice and people want to be outdoors.
And, if you’re outdoors together, you’re more likely to help each other get moving.
What activities should you do as a family?
- If you want to meet people in your area, join a family recreational kickball or softball league.
- If your family loves exploring, grab a compass or a personal GPS and try geocaching.
- If you are a competitive family, you could train for a local 5K. Many neighborhoods offer ‘couch to 5K’ training programs, and spring is a great time to try it!
- If you are a rockin’ and rollin’ family, try rollerskating or roller blading!
- If it all seems too much for you, then challenge each other by seeing who can log the most steps in one day. Chart your progress on a poster in a common area of your home, and track steps with one of those cool Fitbits for each family member!
2. Eat healthy and cook as a family. If one person’s eating healthy, the whole family can eat healthy. With food, it’s so much easier to do as a group, and you can start by swapping junk food and sweets for healthier fruits and veggies.
How do you get started, making sure that all family members are on board?
- Take turns cooking each night. Assign ‘Dinner Duos’ or ‘Chef Partners’ and have each team plan two meals a week.
- Visit local Farmers’ Markets or join a CSA.
- Peruse the Produce Sections of grocery stores as a family for items that look good, smell good, and taste fresh!
- Eat seasonally. Choose fruits and vegetables that are in season, and explore recipes that celebrate those items.
3. Wear weather-appropriate clothes and shoes that fit comfortably. Since spring weather fluctuates so greatly, it’s important to have clothes that work with weather conditions that come in like a lion and go out like a lamb.
How can you make sure your family is outfitted with clothes that allow them to get movin’ and groovin’ indoors or out?
- Start fresh. Go through drawers, removing clothes that no longer fit and making room for new items.
- Have a clothing swap! Reach out to friends and family with the sizes of your kids’ clothes that no longer fit, and submit a gentle request for items and sizes that your family needs.
- Dress in layers. Layers are key for springtime; wearing a t-shirt under a sweatshirt and cute, fun raincoat allows you to remove layers as the weather warms and still stay comfortable.
- Get fitted. Make sure everyone is wearing the correct size sneaker from the start. Having shoes and socks that fit are necessary for starting an exercise regime off on the right foot!
What are some ways your family moves back into a healthier lifestyle after a long winter? I’d love to hear them!
fyi: I am blogging on behalf of Walmart.com, but the views expressed here are solely mine, not Walmart’s. Affiliate links are used in this post.
Leave a Reply