So. . . what IS reading?
- Is it the ability to read a single word on a page?
- Is it the ability to read every single word on a page?
- Is it the ability to retell a story?
- Is it the ability to read fluently, to sound natural while reading?
- Is it the ability to understand what is being read?
- Is reading the ability to correctly answer multiple choice questions about a story or text?
Reading seems to be something different to everyone–especially our little guys who are just now acquiring those all-too important literacy skills.
For some, reading is being able to pick out his or her name in the class list; for others, reading is being able to decode that very first leveled book. For others yet, reading is walking through that very first chapter book–solo.
But whether it’s plowing through a chapter book or paging through a magazine, many people active in the world of reading agree that reading IS indeed something important.
Head on over to the Melissa & Doug blog to read a recent post I wrote: What IS reading? and let me know what you think!