Everyone I know is touched somehow, in some way, by learning disabilities.
Whether it’s a child, sibling, spouse, or parent, in my life, learning disabilities know no bounds. It seems as though everywhere I turn, in any circle of friends I choose, someone is touched by a learning disability (LD) of some sort, of some degree.
And what I’ve found is that if parents don’t have the resources–early detection or a supportive school or answers or the know-how to understand what to do when you are faced with an LD–things can be really tough.
I’m thrilled to be working with the National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) to bring together some incredible experts in the field to answer questions, share resources, and offer support to my readers and friends.
Here’s the skinny. . .
- Let’s Talk About Learning Disabilities–(with the experts at NCLD): Bring all of your questions, concerns, ideas, stories, and experiences next week when we chat with LD experts.
To recognize LD Awareness month and to spread the word on some really incredible, worthwhile resources on Dyslexia in particular, we will be tweeting next week–and we want you to join us. Not only will you find answers and support, you’ll also have a chance to win a Kindle Fire (woot!) and a few $25 gift cards (yay!).
Join us for a twitter event with teach mama media
& National Center For Learning Disabilities (NCLD) ** follow: #DyslexiaWho: Parents, teachers, caregivers, expert panelists, and YOU!
- Amy Mascott: @teachmama
- Stan Wattles: @LDorg Serves on NCLD’s Board of Directors, former Indy racecar driver, diagnosed with dyslexia (will be tweeting for event)
- Anne Ford: @AnneFordAuthor Former NCLD Chairman & author of three books on learning disabilities
- Dr. Sheldon Horowitz, Ed.D. @LD_Expert NCLD’s Director of LD Resources and Essential InformationWhat: October is Learning Disabilities (LD) Awareness Month & NCLD is sharing new Dyslexia resources
Why: To enlighten, share, inform, and connect (and WIN!) prizes: Kindle Fire & two $25 gift cards
Where: Twitter! (http://twitter.com) #Dyslexia
When: Monday, 10.29.12 from 9-10 pm ET
- RSVP here so you can win some great prizes: http://bit.ly/NCLDrsvp or scan the fancy QR code:
- log onto twitter
- follow the hashtag #Dyslexia
- tweet, re-tweet (RT), and tweet some more!Helpful hints:
- use TweetChat (http://tweetchat.com/room/Dyslexia) or TweetGrid (http://bit.ly/NCLDevent1012) to make it easier for you
- visit NCLD site and bring questions, comments or concerns to the event
- bookmark the NCLD Facebook page so you’re ready for fun
- make sure you are following the host (@teachmama) and all of the panelists so you don’t miss a beat!
I look forward to chatting with you on Monday!
IMPORTANT: Please leave any questions you have for the experts below. I’ll bring ’em to the chat and we’ll hopefully get you some answers!
i don’t have twitter, but i do have a question. my 2nd dd will be 5 in a week and she does not know her letters and sounds. we have tried several different things over the last year and nothing seems to be working. we have been working intensively and consistently on vowels since the beginning of september. did a review this week and she only knows “a” consistently. she can usually identify “e”, but not it’s sound. “o” is fairly consistent, but “i” and “u”? forget it. can’t name them or their sound. is it too early to be worried? she desperately wants to read.
I homeschool my 6 1/2 year old and almost 5 year old sons. I’m trying to figure out what I need to look for as far as dyslexia and ADHD are concerned. My first grader had a hard time picking up reading last year, but has done better this year. He still will write numbers backwards and when reading a word he’ll some times say the sounds out of order or put a sound in there where it doesn’t belong. He gets very frustrated when he makes a mistake and wants to quit. I don’t want to push him to hard or not challenge him enough. Is there something I can do to make it better for him? Or a different approach? Thank you very much!
great questionss, Amanda!! Will definitely submit to our experts!!