More than a few exciting events are scheduled for the holiday season here in the DC Metro area, and if you’re anything like me, you can’t handle but one packed day per weekend with little kids in tow.
That being said, I am totally psyched to share one event that will be new for us so that if you’re interested in going, you can put it on your already-packed calendars now!
- The Polar Express: On December 5 at 11 am, our little familia will be experiencing The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, along with the Peabody Children’s Chorus, bring to life one of our favorite holiday books.
Images from Chris Van Allsburg’s The Polar Express will be projected onto the stage of the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall while the words “come to life through a full orchestra and a children’s chorus.” Seriously. How fun is that?!
And although it seems like the activity begins at 11, the BSO Family Fun Zone starts at 10 am in the Meyerhoff lobby. Numerous free, “age-appropriate” activities including Port Discovery Children’s Museum interactive World Rhythm Drum Circus (woo-hoo!!) and the Maryland Zoo’s ZOOmobile (eeeeeee!!) will be there. One thing that I know Maddy, Owen, and Cora will loooove is the Instrument Petting Zoo–how cool?!–and face painting.
All this before they attend their very first symphony!? It’s hard to imagine, but it’s on the calendar, in pen, and we’re already looking forward to it. After Thanksgiving, I’ll bring out our holiday book box, do a few good re-reads of The Polar Express, and start talking about instruments and orchestras to get my little ones ready.
Want tickets? Want more information? Here’s the skinny:
- The Polar Express–Family Concert: For ages 4 and up and their families
- Saturday, December 5 at 11:00 am–Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall
- Doors open at 10:00 am for BSO Family Fun Zone
- Mei-Ann Chen, conductor; Andre McRae, baritone; Peabody Children’s Chorus–Doreen Falby, Director; The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
- Tickets: range from $12 to $20 and are available through the BSO Ticket Office, 877.BSO.1444, 410.783.8000, or BSOmusic.org
This teachmama is super excited to spend the day at the Meyerhoff on December 5th. Talk about some real-life learning ahead!
What I learned, at an event held at the Meyerhoff in September with a number of other local bloggers (when we saw Time For Three perform with the BSO–and oh my goodness, it was awesome!), is that there is something for everyone at the BSO. Seriously, their family program and shows for younger audiences is something really worth exploring.
fyi: We are extremely thankful for the opportunity to attend The Polar Express at the Meyerhoff on December 5th. The kind people at the BSO are gifting us our tickets in exchange for us sharing information about the event with our friends and teachmama readers. Hopefully we’ll see some of you there!