Have you heard? You can celebrate National Youth Science Day all month long!
HughesNet (America’s #1 provider of satellite Internet and a supporter of 4-H) is doing something totally awesome in celebration of NYSD. Something you don’t want to miss.
4-H has turned National Youth Science Day into a month-long celebration this year, with a challenge called Code Your World, which invites kids to get involved in computer science through hands-on doing.
And we are giving away 12 Code Your World Kits to 6 lucky winners. You get one kit, and you give one to a friend. Or you keep both. Or you give both to a classroom near you.
Here’s the skinny. . .
National Youth Science Day: Code Your World Challenge
The Code Your World Challenge
This October, 4‑H launched an exciting National Youth Science Day challenge, Code Your World, inviting kids to get involved in computer science (CS) through hands-on doing. The national NYSD celebration kicked off October 1, and coding events can take place all throughout October.
Don’t you love the idea of kids getting involved in computer science through hands-on doing? Let them at it, and they will learn–and probably be able to teach us a little something!
Learn more here:
How cool is that?
The four-part challenge is geared toward kids 8-14 years old and involves one computer-based activity and three unplugged activities that bring coding to life through games and interaction.
This 2018 National Youth Science Day Kit Includes:
- 1 Facilitator Guide
- 10 Youth Workbooks
- 10 Certificates of Completion
- 20 Completion Badge Stickers
- 13 Scratch Coding Challenge Cards
- Scratch Username and Password Sheet
- 2 sets of 26 Dance Code Cards, plus 2 reference cards
- 5 Dice
- 5 Wooden Coins
- Code Your Dance Poster
- 40 Crayons
- 13 Unique Scratch Activity Cards
- 2 Deck of 26 “Code Your Dance” Activity Cards
- The USB Drive Includes:
- Offline versions of Scratch and Adobe Air (for Mac OS X & Windows)
- Animate a Name Offline Instructions
- Printable Facilitator Guide
- Printable Scratch Coding Challenge Cards
- Printable Certificates of Completion Badge Stickers
- Printable Youth Workbook (Code Your Dance, AI, Code Your World)
- Printable Custom Code Your Dance Cards
- Careers with Code Magazine
Or, if you don’t want to wait and want to get in on the fun now, you can purchase your Code Your World kit below to get ready for National Youth Science Day.
HughesNet works with 4-H so that all children, no matter where they live, have access to hands-on experiential STEM learning. The company’s support of STEM education is part of its larger commitment to bridging the digital divide. HughesNet is giving Code Your World kits as part of its commitment
to increasing access to STEM education.
- the nation’s largest youth development organization which grows confident young people who are empowered for life today and prepared for career tomorrow;
- the youth development program of our nation’s Cooperative Extension System and USDA, and it serves every county and parish in the U.S. through a network of 110 public universities and more than 3,000 local Extension offices;
- where kids complete hands-on projects in areas like health, science, AGRICULTURE and citizenship, in a positive environment where they receive guidance from adult mentors and are encouraged to take on proactive leadership roles.
- Hughes is the global leader in broadband satellite technology, and its flagship high-speed satellite Internet service is HughesNet®, the world’s largest satellite network with over 1.2 million residential and business customers across the Americas.
- HughesNet Twitter: @HughesNet
- HughesNet Instagram: @HughesNet
- HughesNet Facebook: HughesNet
- Hughes LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/
What do you think?
Who will you share these awesome kits with? I’d love to know!
fyi: This post was written as part of a partnership with HughesNet, but as always, my opinions are all my own, influenced only by my experience as a parent and educator.