My kids are basically a captive audience at breakfast, and they have been for a long, long time.
Whether they’re staring at the cereal boxes, reading the newspaper, chatting grammar, or doing brain teasers, it always seems like they are waiting for some sort of activity while they throw back their Cheerios or waffles.
Because they love the Guess the Word Game that we play at their Halloween class parties, we made a holiday version.
I like the simplicity of this activity, it’s mobility, and the many different ways you can adjust the rules.
Here’s the skinny. . .
- Christmas Guess the Word Game:
The premise of this game is super-simple: one person holds up a card with a word on it and tries to guess what it is.
But here’s the thing: the card holder does not look at the word.
And everyone else gives one-word clues to help the person guess it.
We play in a few variations:
- the fewer words it takes to guess, the better;
- the person who can guess the most words in row wins;
- for a challenge: all of the clues must begin with the same letter; or
- all of the clues must rhyme with the word on the card;
- add a timer.
And when the kids help me generate a list, sure, they know what’s coming, but it’s still fun.
They feel more a part of the game when they are the co-creators.
Want to download the cards?
The Christmas Guess the Word Game is here to download as a pdf if you’d like: christmas party word guess game
The last page is blank so you can add your own!
(If you choose to share this post, super! Please just link to this post instead of the attachment page, though! Thank you!)
christmas party word guess game
Want a few more holiday-inspired gift ideas or activities? Check out:
- Best Gifts for Kids and Families 2014
- Best Gifts for Kids and Families 2013
- Best Gifts for Kids and Families 2012
- Best Gifts for Kids and Families 2011
- Holiday Fun Fact and JOKES Lunchbox Notes (with Hannukah!)
- Holiday Time Fun Fact Lunchbox Notes
- Little Holiday Notes and Jokes
- Holiday Notes for Families
- The Polar Express tradition
- Scratch-off Cards
- K-Cup Advent Tree
- New Year’s Family Interview
- Happy Holidays Backyard Birds
Follow along on pinterest:
Leave a Reply