Another one of our fave back-to-school traditions involves a little bit of writing, some decorating, and a wee bit of walking.
Not much walking, really. Just to the mailbox or up to the school, depending on where you live.
But for the last few years, we’ve rocked Hello, Teacher Notes to ease the transition from summer break to school year just a tiny bit easier for Maddy, Owen, and Cora. Okay, and me.
We sent them:
- last year, when Owen went to Kindergarten, Maddy went to 2nd, and Cora went to pre-K
- two years ago, when Owen went to pre-K & Maddy went to 1st grade
- three years ago, when Maddy went to Kindergarten
And we sent them again this year, with Maddy going to 3rd grade, Owen going to 1st, and Cora (waaaah!) going to Kindergarten.
Each note is slightly different to account for age differences in the kids, but essentially, they’re similar in their purpose–to give the kids a chance to say ‘hello’ to their teachers before that sometimes-stressful first day.
Here’s the skinny. . .
- Hello Teacher Notes– Let Kids Connect With Teachers: Take a look. . .
Want to send your own Hello Teacher Notes? Download and print our templates by subscribing below:
- hello teacher note K
- hello teacher note 1st (or 2nd)
- hello teacher note 3rd (and above!)
Though we’ve used the notes before school began, I’ve had many, many people email me and say that they used them any time during that first month of school–or for kids who moved, switched teachers, or something similar. Just knowing that they’re working for other kids makes us so happy.
So really, it doesn’t know how your child connects with his or her teacher–it’s just important that it happens early in the game.
Want a little more back-to-school fun? A few more rockstar resources?
- Back to School Tips and Tricks: Make this year ROCK
- Get kids involved in back to school shopping
- school success
- everything I wish knew before middle school
- lunchbox notes: school RULES! lunchbox joke notes