Last weekend, I spent time away with some of my girlfriends in beautiful Destin, Florida.
Ten busy moms all left their families for a girls’ getaway weekend.
Don’t roll your eyes or sigh deeply thinking that you can’t do the same thing.
You can. And you should.
And I have 100 reasons for you–yes, 100 reasons–to plan your own girls’ getaway weekend now.
Here’s the skinny. . .
Busy Mom? 100 Reasons to Plan a Girls’ Getaway Weekend Now:
Never heard of Destin? Don’t worry–neither did I until a few months ago.
Maybe you’ve already been to awesome Destin? Lucky.
Or maybe you just heard Destin was voted One of the Ten Most Beautiful Places in America? Smartypants.
Destin is located on Florida’s Emerald Coast and is known for its white beaches and emerald green waters.
It’s seriously beautiful.
The sand felt like powder, and the water–well, the water was calling my name even though it was the middle of winter. I didn’t go in. I’m not that crazy. But man, I wanted to.
Anyway, Destin, for us, was a perfect meeting place since my friends and I are scattered across the country.
We wanted a beautiful place that was easy to get to and that would work for all of us. We wanted to maximize our time together, so we stayed in a home. A beautiful home, thanks to the great folks at Newman-Dailey.
Getting away was something we had been talking about for years now, and we finally did it.
Ten of us. Some of the smartest women I know.
It was our idea to have an ‘un-conference’ of sorts, a mastermind. A women’s work weekend. A girls’ getaway where we could learn from each other, teach each other, and lift each other.
It was awesome.
This house is gorgeous, right? You can rent it, too: Blue Heaven
Hands down, one of the best getaways I have ever had, even surpassing many of the conferences I’ve attended. And I’ve attended quite a few.
But what I realized is that often we as busy moms need more of a reason to get together.
Even if our spouses give us the ‘go’, often we feel like we need to be able to justify our time away from our family.
We shouldn’t have to justify our time with friends. But we so often do.
I get it.
So what I decided to do was to put together a list of 100 reasons that busy moms should plan a girls’ weekend away now.
And I mean now.
Print it. Share it with your pals. Tape it to your mirror. Be reminded every day that you need a getaway.
100 Reasons To Plan a Girls’ Getaway Now:
1. You deserve it.
2. Your children need to see how much you value your friendships.
3. You can give your spouse a chance to be the ‘hero’ parent, solo and in charge all weekend long.
4. You can spend quality time with great people.
5. You can give your family a teeny, tiny break from you. (Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?)
6. You can rest assured you will be a better mother because of your time away.
7. You can catch up on sleep.
8. You can finally take those online classes you wanted.
9. You can cut coupons.
10. You can move your address book from the old, ripped up one you’ve used for years to a digital one.
11. You can finish your children’s baby books.
12. You can use the time to catch up on scrapbooking.
13. You can write thank-you notes for the past year.
14. You can write all of the event cards you need to for the year—so you can be ahead!
15. You can read a magazine while sipping an umbrella drink.
16. You can listen to Serial, Season One—and Two!
17. You can read Me Before You before the movie comes out.
18. You can watch the entire Hunger Games movie series and then see Mockingjay Part 2 In. The. Theater.
19. You can plan some freezer meals.
20. You can paint.
21. You can knit.
22. You can crochet.
23. You can cross stitch.
24. You can quilt.
25. You can sew.
26. You can hem.
27. You can scherenschnitte.
28. You can build a ship in a bottle.
29. You can do a puzzle with more than 35 pieces.
30. You can clean out your email inbox. (FINALLY!)
31. You can eat a meal in peace.
32. You can take a nap.
33. You can get a tattoo.
34. You can go shopping for you.
35. You can walk through a fancy gift shop.
36. You can go to a museum.
37. You can have a drink (or two!) at breakfast.
38. You can have a drink (or two!) at lunch.
39. You can go to happy hour.
40. You can have a drink (or two!) at dinner.
Our meal at Brotula’s Seafood House and Steamer was incredible. INcredible.
41. You can go on a photo walk.
42. You can take pictures with your fancy camera with time to focus manually.
43. You can read The Life-Changing Art of Tidying Up and then go home and change your life.
44. You can catch up on Facebook stalking.
45. You can take a yoga class.
46. You can explore a new city.
47. You can sit on a bench and people watch.
48. You can journal.
49. You can write a short story.
50. You can write a book.
51. You can go for a run.
52. You can go for a walk.
53. You can go for a hike.
54. You can watch a play.
55. You can volunteer at a hospital.
56. You can go to mass.
57. You can go to temple.
58. You can walk through a bookstore.
59. You can get your nails done.
60. You can get a massage.
61. You can get a facial.
62. You can get a haircut.
63. You can try a new-for-you hair color.
64. You can get lasik.
65. You can try a body wrap.
66. You can try cool-sculpting.
67. You can go thrift shopping.
68. You can go yard-sale hopping.
69. You can search for a new house.
70. You can go on a house tour.
71. You can learn a new language.
72. You can plan a vacation.
73. You can plan a family reunion.
74. You can watch a sporting event.
75. You can go to a fashion show.
76. You can hire a personal shopper.
77. You can sign up for Stitch Fix or Trunk Club.
78. You can plan a party.
79. You can plan a banquet.
80. You can go to a convention.
81. You can go to a meeting.
82. You can have a mastermind.
83. You can design a cool logo.
84. You can finally create an Instagram account.
85. You can create a Twitter account.
86. You can create a Snapchat account.
87. You can create a Periscope account.
88. You can create a Pinterest account.
89. You can create a Flickr account.
90. You can create a YouTube channel.
91. You can create a Facebook page.
92. You can create a Facebook group.
93. You can create a business.
94. You can start a blog.
95. You can register an LLC.
96. You can set long-term goals.
97. You can make short-term goals.
98. You can do big things.
99. You can make a difference.
100. You can start now.
Do you want to download this list of 100 Reasons to Plan a Girls’ Getaway Today?
Tell me what you think about a getaway for friends–I’d love to hear your location recommendations, idea recommendations, fun memories, and more!
fyi: Many thanks to Newman-Daley Resort Properties for inviting us to stay in one of their gorgeous Destin properties and to Brotula’s Seafood House for treating us to our fabulous meal. And, of course, huge and happy thanks to each one of my girlfriends for making ‘girl time’ a priority this month.
fyi: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. This small percentage of money helps offset the costs of hosting this blog, which helps me keep this content free for you. Forever and always I recommend only products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” For more information, please see teachmama media, llc. disclosure policy.