This summer, we’re all about quick and easy.
We’re all about games and activities that pack a powerful punch because goodness knows we’re doing the best we can just to keep our heads afloat during our busy swim and dive season.
One super-quick and easy game that Owen brought home this year from school has come up several times this summer. It’s quick. It’s different.
He really likes it.
It’s simple in concept but requires a bit of strategy.
It’s called ‘4 sums in a row’ and the goal is just that: to get four sums in a row, so kids are playing with numbers and strategizing ways of choosing numbers that will give them a big win.
Here’s the skinny. . .
- 4 Sums in a Row–Quick and Easy Math Game: Like I said, the object is simple–two players work to get four sums in a row.
It’s a game that is great to shove in your purse or pool bag for times when you’re in waiting rooms, on the sidelines, or at restaurants.
Here’s how it works:
- 4 Sums in a Row boards (download them here: 4 sums game _ teachmama.com
- two different types pawns, one for each player (use Cheerios, gems from gem jar, beads, buttons, pennies–anything)
- 2 paper clips
1. Player one moves the paper clips over two numbers along the bottom row.
2. He or she then adds those numbers and puts a pawn over the sum on the board above.
3. Player two moves one paper clip to another number and leaves the other on the number Player one chose.
4. Player two puts his or her pawn on the sum of the two numbers covered by paper clips.
5. Play continues back and forth until the first player gets four sums in a row!
Print it out on a piece of cardstock or slip it into a plastic sleeve, and it’s more likely to have a longer life.
I also made a blank sheet to go along with it. Allowing kids to use their brains and creativity to actually make their own boards is a sneaky way of keeping them engaged and learning. And? They totally love it.
Again, here’s the board: 4 sums game _ teachmama.com
Want a few more at-home, make-em-yourself-games? Check out:
- Math bingo
- cora’s color game
- egg match
- finding addends
- fabulous, fancy game
- go fish